Next Community Service Day Saturday, October 13th 2018
Thank You 2017 Volunteers & Community Partners
Because of the spirit and hard work of the community -- and despite having to hold our annual event over three weekends -- Community Service Day 2017 was an amazing success. We had more than 1,100 volunteers helping at 47 different projects.
Most notably, people across the community -- from Rossmoor to the Woodlands -- donated more than 10,000 pounds of food during our food drive on Saturday, October 14 -- more than double what we have collected in previous years. The food will not only help the needy in our community but will also be distributed to victims of the North Bay Fires. Our food drives were supported by Whole Foods, which allowed our volunteers to solicit donations from shoppers; the Rotary Club of Rossmoor, which held a drive-up food drive and collected six barrels of food; local realtors and other community members, who distributed and then collected food donation bags in neighborhoods; and the Ultimate Sports Association, which collected more than three barrels of food at its Ultimate Fieldhouse facility.
- 43 volunteers deep-cleaned the children's equipment at the All Abilities Playground at Heather Farm Park.
- Working from A to Z, 200 volunteers at our two libraries cleaned books and digital media materials and refreshed landscaping.In fact, 5,500 children's books were cleaned at the YV Library.
- Seasonal tray favors for seniors were created by 45 volunteers of all ages. The favors will be delivered to seniors by Meals on Wheels-Senior Outreach Services (see photo at right).
- At 9 of our public schools, 330 volunteers spruced up the campuses, cleaned library books, and worked in the band rooms.
- More than 20 volunteers planted a grove of new olive trees at Lar Rieu Park (see photo below).
To see photos from the various projects, visit our album on Flickr. If you have photos that you'd like to share, please email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. And, mark your calendars for Community Service Day 2018, set for Saturday, October 13!
Questions? Email the Community Service Day organizing committee
Check out our photo album from past Community Service Days