General Plan 2025 includes an action item to develop a bicycle plan for the City of Walnut Creek. On August 2, 2011, the City Council completed the action and adopted the Walnut Creek Bicycle Plan [PDF]. By having a bike plan, the City is able to coordinate different bicycle-related improvements in a more coherent manner towards creating an environment conducive for bicycle use. The 2011 Bicycle Plan also enables the City to request Bicycle Lane Transportation Account (BTA) funds that are provided by the State for projects that improve safety and convenience for bicycle commuters. The adopted plan also increases the City’s eligibility for funding programs such as CalTrans Bike Lane Account, Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) Transportation Development Act and Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) Transportation for Clean Air.
The goal of the Bicycle Plan is to create a comprehensive vision that supports bicycle use in Walnut Creek. The plan emphasizes the policy direction established in the Walnut Creek General Plan 2025 to provide a safe and attractive environment for bicycle travel, promote bicycle use as a sustainable and healthy mode of transportation, and facility guidelines which encourage and support bicycle use for travel and recreation in Walnut Creek.
The Walnut Creek Bicycle Plan [PDF] provides goals, policies and actions which promote cycling a desirable transportation alternative to the automobile. The plan addresses the many aspects of planning and infrastructure that affect bicycling in Walnut Creek. The purpose of the plan is to:
- Provide recommendations to improve the overall safety of the bicyclist;
- Identify and prioritize the needs of the bicyclist;
- Promote bicycling as a viable and sustainable transportation option;
- Reflect Walnut Creek’s regional importance to the bicycling community to establish consistency with other local and regional bicycle plans;
- Establish a set of short and long term goals and policies intended to guide the development of new facilities as well as the maintenance of existing facilities; and
- Allow the City to maximize the number of outside funding sources for plan implementation, including the California Bicycle Transportation Account (BTA) funds and other state and federal funding programs.
The Bicycle Plan is not intended to be an implementation guide for new bicycle facilities but rather, it is intended to be a general strategy plan that establishes a long range vision for bicycling in Walnut Creek, which can evolve as needs change.
- Walnut Creek Bicycle Plan, August 2, 2011 [4.83 Mb, PDF]
- Maps (pdf)